Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why I Run

    Runners are often asked why they run.   Then they are asked to define their reason in a short idea, or even just one word!  The truth is, for many runners, there are no words that can define the reasons why they continue to push themselves forward day in and day out.  We put so much effort, sweat, and even tears into these goals for months, and sometimes years.  It is difficult for others to understand the feelings that flow through us when we cross that finish line after months of training.   Perhaps it is that feeling of achievement, of reaching that goal.  I can tell you that the feeling of finishing a marathon, or nailing a personal record is unmatched.  

Though, I cannot describe why I run in a simple sentence, I have  looked back through my social media sites to find out what keeps me moving forward.  Often times I will post some thoughs after a run.  Below are a few of them that I found:
   

Some people say life is not a race...I say its the toughest race you'll ever run..as soon as you start, there will be hills, obstacles, and even a few walls. You never know when the finish line is, but you know you have to keep moving forward. The losers are those who stop moving forward.. the ones who give up, never try, or drop out of the race early.. The winners are those who put their shoes on, take a deep breath, look up, open their stride, and move forward at all costs...keep moving forward my friends....I hear they have beer at the finish line.

Today I came across this medical note from when I was 11 years old. It stated that I couldn't run long distances! I remember the day I handed my 7th grade gym teachers a note saying I wasn't allowed to run. I was pretty embarrassed when they looked at it and chuckled. I was so embarrassed, that I ran anyways despite what people told me I couldn't do. I ran hard, and I never gave up. Five marathons and a couple thousand miles of running later, my heart is still ticking! Sometimes people ask me why I run so much...All I need to say is, "because I can!"

"Most people never get there. They're afraid or unwilling to demand enough of themselves and take the easy road, the path of least resistance. But struggling and suffering, as I now saw it, were the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself, expanding and learning as you go - you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip."

I am constantly evaluating and re-evaluating my runs and asking myself what compels me to run five to 20 miles a day. While running my favorite path through Baltimore’s Inner Harbor I came to a new conclusion:
There is this energy I get from running that I cannot find anywhere else. Whether I am running through the forest, the city, in a 5K, or a marathon, I take in so much wonderful and positive energy from my surroundings. It can be a cheering crowd, a happy couple taking pictures, The Sun rising on the Atlantic, or the Sun setting over the Pacific Ocean. Whatever this positive energy is- it is taken in through all of my senses and converted into this kinetic energy that powers my legs to keep moving. With each step I take, I hope to leave shock waves of even more positive energy behind me. I am a firm believer that the positive energy that we create can last forever. The more I run, and the more I inspire others to run, the more positive energy I create. The more I create, the further it will go, and the more people are inspired to run. It becomes a perpetual cycle of positive vibes through running. Incredible.


There's something about running through the sunset, and into the night. All you're worries and stress just seem to go away with the sun. As darkness sets in you're left with the sounds of your breath and the quiet pound of you're shoes on the pavement. And for that short time, that's all that matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment