Sunday, January 19, 2014

My life thus far..And how running has changed it.


 
19January2014
            I can't help but to reflect on my short running career, and how it has affected my very short life thus far.  Running has taken me to new places, built relationships that I will never lose, and inspired me to be a better person.  It has given me so much, and I have neglected to give credit to what has become a passion of mine.

    I have been seriously running since 2010, though I was never really supposed to run at all!  In elementary school the doctor told me that I should not run due to a heart condition.  Can you imagine the embarrassment as I handed the Phys ED teacher the doctor’s note?  In junior high, I was cut from the baseball team, and was told I should try track (apparently wearing converse all stars to try outs was unacceptable).   By the time I hit my junior year in high school, I finally worked up the courage to join a sports team again.  Cross Country.  I was not very good, but the an interest for running had sparked.  In my senior year, my brother passed away.  Depression had gotten the best of him.  I began to run a lot more.  It was a way to vent, and a way to think more clearly. I had made the varsity team, and joined track as well.  I was never really that fast in either sport though.  I made many amazing friends who I still talk to, and a spark of interest for running ignited into something much more.
    Though I wasn't great, I never gave up.  I kept running.  Usually just logging in some miles here and there.  Often times, after a stressful week in the Coast Guard, I would really appreciate a long run down the Washington State beach, while the sun was setting.  I began to connect with the world around me during these runs, and took it all in while running across the Golden Gate Bridge. In 2010, I went through a divorce.  Long story short, we were 22 years old, married for less than a year, living across the country from any of our family, had a newborn, and military life had put a strain on our relationship.  Looking back at it, I realize that I was doing to her, what Megan is now doing to me.  So she left. And I started running... I didn't stop.  
    In 2010 I also met a wonderful group called Back on My Feet.  Their mission was to use running to create self-sufficiency in the lives of those experiencing homelessness.  I began to volunteer with this group, and quickly stepped up to become a team coach for one of the Baltimore based teams.  I can honestly credit my love for running to this group.  Without them, I would never have been so inspired to run, and I would never have run my first marathon.  I have made life long friends while volunteering for back on my feet, and am so grateful for everything they have done.  I think, at the time I began volunteering I needed them just as much as they needed a volunteer.  I ran my first marathon with one of the residents, who at the time was homeless.  Halfway though, he told me, "This is a better high than any drug!" We finished our marathon, and he has been one of my best friends since.  
     They say that once you run a marathon, you become addicted.  I would say that is absolutely true.  In the three years after my first marathon, I ran six more.  I immersed myself into the running world, completing mud runs, 5ks, and half marathons.  I would even run in some glow in the dark, dance 5Ks! Any new place I traveled to, I made sure got a run in, just to experience and appreciate the new atmosphere.  I had connected with so many wonderful people through running.   In 2012 I propose to a lovely lady at the Baltimore Running Festival.  I carried the engagement ring for 26.2 miles, and managed to get down on a knee and hand it to her in front of 50,000 people.  Short shorts and all!  Luckily my dream woman said yes (although she may have been delirious from her half marathon).  All was right in the world!  Sure, there were times that I didn't reach a goal, or PR, and there were times where I didn't feel like running, but I never gave up, and kept moving forward.  It had brought me so much happiness, and now I had a beautiful faience to share this happiness with!
   As 2013 rolled in, my father almost died, and underwent heart surgery.  After a cross-country flight on a Air force cargo jet, I rushed to hospital to see him.  I am an EMT and have served in the Coast Guard for six years.  I have seen death, and I have saved lives.  I consider myself a pretty emotionally strong man, but walking into that hospital room and seeing the strongest man I knew helplessly laying on a bed, unconscious, with tubes keeping him alive, made me lose it.  That day changed me in many ways.  Days after his surgery, I ran into some trouble with the law, and spent a night behind bars.  I began to hate my job in the military, and I began to take out my frustrations on the woman I loved the most.  I kept running, but no longer appreciated it anymore.  I just did it to get away.  To make matters worse, my wife got orders to move to Charleston, South Carolina.  We now had less than six months to buy a house, get married, move to another state, but in order to do this, I had to make a difficult decision.  I had to leave the military after just six years of actively serving.  I decided that my wife's love is more important than a career, and made the leap.  It was probably the best decision I have ever made, but I did not see it at the time.
    But I was still entering the darkest times I have ever been in.  By June, the wedding had come and gone, and I had built up mountains of resentment for having to leave a career, and moving away from all my friends, and running community.  I spent so much energy focusing my frustrations towards my new wife, who was trying everything she could to make the transition as smooth as possible.  I was so cold and mean to her.  I remember making her cry not once, but many times.  I look back now and ask myself, "How could I do that?!"  I was so selfish.  My heart was filled with anger, and my runs had become just a means of escape.  I had stopped moving forward.  
    In August we had made our move to Charleston, and I was now in the civilian work force. The work was less stressful, but the pay was less.  Far less.   I had to depend on my wife for money.  Something that made matters worse.  Then she got deployed for three months.  We had never been apart for this long, and I had been consumed with jealousy, fear, and resentment.  Not even married for half a year, and now I have to lose my wife for three months.  Some how I had made everything about myself.  I never took her feelings into consideration.  I never appreciated any attempt she made to make things better.
   I took this opportunity to train for a Boston Qualifying time at the Philadelphia Marathon.  I ran hard every day, but I didn't enjoy one second of it.  Training had turned into work.  A task.  I no longer loved running, or anything for that matter.  The only way to describe how I had become was trapped.  I was trapped under a thick cloud of darkness, and there was not a speck of light.  I would win races, break running goals, and I even qualified for Boston at the Philadelphia Marathon (only with the encouragement and training from a good friend of mine in Baltimore), but I would not see the these accomplishments.  I only saw my deficiencies, where I have failed, and I slipped further into the dark cloud.  I came dangerously close to understanding my brother's suffering.  After the Philadelphia marathon, running was no longer interesting to me.  When I did try to run, I spent the whole time thinking of every negative thing I could think about.  I began to despise running.  I avoided it at all costs.  Being alone with my thoughts was just too difficult to do.
    After my wife had come home from the deployment, things were different.  I had depended on my wife for happiness for so long, that without her, I was (for a lack of better words) nothing, and she had seen how dependent on her I had become.  I had also drained her of her own happiness.  I had forced that dark cloud on her through emails while she was away, and a year of resentment had taken its toll.. and things were different.  We had grown apart.  When I realized what I had done, it was to late.  What do you do in a situation like this?    I would like to think that life is a romantic movie, where all that it takes is a gesture of love, some flowers, and everything is O.K. again.  But the cold truth is, life is not like "The Notebook," and a passionate kiss will not solve all problems.
    It took several weeks of reflecting and an 18-mile run to during a beautiful Charleston sunset to make some conclusions.  I have come so far in twenty-five years.  People who have been in darker situations have inspired me.  I have moved forward, and overcome obstacles before.  One thing that I have learned from marathon running, is that there is no better feeling than overcoming the most challenging parts, pushing yourself past that wall, and spreading your arms open as you cross the finish line.  Even if you don't hit that goal, or get a personal record, knowing that you did not give up and kept moving forward makes the entire struggle worth it.
   So yesterday, I ran a marathon.  I didn't have a goal time.  I didn't go out to compete. I didn't even train.  I just went out and had fun.  I enjoyed the sun, I smiled as often as possible, I thought about the people I love, I encouraged people to keep moving forward, and I kept moving forward.  I thanked the police officers for volunteering, and gave high fives to the crowd.  For the first time in seven marathons, I took some time to enjoy the beauty of the marathon and the magnificence of thousands of people moving forward together.  Thirty feet from the finish line, there was my wife.  She was so beautiful, with sparkling eyes, and the loveliest dimples.  She was standing out there in 40-degree weather just to watch me cross that finish line.  And so I did, with my arms spread open and a smile across my face.


I have miles left to go in this journey.   Running has given me the strength to not give up, no matter how dark the clouds become, and no matter how painful it gets.  Just keep moving forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment