Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Great Escape II


April 7-8, 2014
            The next important, and necessary stop I had to make along the trip was in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  It was out of the way by over three hundred miles, but worth the extra day to see my daughter again.  I try to see her as much as possible.  I really cannot believe how much she has grown in four years.  I remember the first time I met Mia in the SeaTac airport.  I had just finished Coast Guard Health Service School in Petaluma, California, but she was already two months old.  I leaned in to give her a gentle kiss on those newborn lips, and as soon as I made contact, she spit up a helping of milk directly into my mouth.  I knew from then on, it was love.  That winter, Mia, her mother, and I made a cross country road trip from Seattle to Baltimore.  It was cold, and snowy, and we had made every effort to get across the states as quick as possible.  Looking back, it was a great trip!  Who would't want to spend a week in a car with a newborn!?
            My daughter is the most important person in my life.  She is beautiful.  Everything about her is perfect.  I can spend hours watching her be a goofy four year old girl.  I take great pride in pretending to eat invisible pizza with her.  I take in every moment I get with her, and treat it as it could be my last.  Every time I see her again, whether it’s been a few weeks or a few months later, she seems to have grown by years. 
            I understand the possible implications of me not being around all the time.  I understand that there may be questions asked in the future.  There already are questions asked by other people.  “Why don’t you fight for custody?” has been the biggest question.  My answer is, “Why should I?”  She has a wonderful mom and grandmother who love her very much, and give her many of the things that only a mother and grandmother could.  She lives in a very pleasant home with a very positive environment and goes to a great school.  Why should I selfishly take her away from that, and throw her into a war zone that so many children somehow find themselves in the middle of?  Would I do any better?  All I can really do is provide for her the best I can, and let her know that I will always be there for her, and love her unconditionally.
            For now though, I just like to enjoy the moments I have with her.  Today, she stood on my feet and asked me to moonwalk with her.  Then she kissed my forearms for no reason and told me she loved her daddy.  My heart melted.  Shortly afterwards, she notified me that she would soon have tattoos like her daddy, but first she would like some milk.  I can’t say no to this girl.  She’s going to be trouble.   
            My daughter is one thing that will always keep me moving forward.  She is my motivation to break through any obstacle.  I want to be able to prove to her that she can do anything she if she works hard enough.   I want her to grow up knowing that there are no limits to what she can do, and that she should always strive to find her true potential.  I can only prove this to her by believing it, and living it.
            I don’t know when I will see her again.  It was tough hugging her goodbye today.  She told me she didn't want her daddy to go.  She said, “Just stay here daddy.” Words that would make any father well up with tears.  I hope every goodbye isn't as difficult as this one.  Until next time little bub.  Betty White and I will see you soon!

09 April 14

    Heading through Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri today.  The trailer is pulling surprisingly well.  I would guess it is because everything is so flat!  I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at an old Coast Guard friends house last night.  I never would have thought that I would have friends out here in Indiana.
   I stopped at the world's largest wind chime!  Unfortunately it wasn't very windy out!  While I was exploring, I met this old farmer.  I guess he was just looking for someone to talk to, because he talked my ear off for about a half hour, about the size of his crop.  Strawberries the size of peaches, and peaches bigger than melons.  He also looked over at the world's largest wind chime, and under his breath, whispered, "I'm working on making the world's largest cock and balls, but I don't know how that will work out in this town!"  Apparently, in this little, Illinois town, size matters.  After some more discussion, I asked him, "So why do you think you are here?  What is your purpose?"  After a few seconds of consideration, and a half toothless smirk, he replied "Well, I'm a farmer.  I have extra land, and I like to grow food.  I like to give that food to people who need it." That's good enough for me.  On to St. Louis.  The gateway to the west.
Betty aint scared of nothin

The worlds largest wind chime...Coming soon, the worlds largest cock and balls!

Finally made it to the west!

Thanks for letting me crash at your house Riley!


10 April 2014

    I didn't make it very far!  Last night I camped about an hour South of St. Louis.  It got cold, really cold!  The Mexican blankets didn't quite cut it, so i'll have to invest in a sleeping bag.  St. Louis is pretty phenomenal.  The Arch is a magnificent piece of architecture, that everyone should see once in their life.   That is what is so amazing about our country.  It is full of these outstanding natural and man made wonders.
    I got back the road early this morning, and about an hour into the drive, my car became very sluggish.  It hardly made it over the hills, and i began to get worried.  I knew something was bound to happen, I just didn't think it would be 1500 miles into the trip.  I pulled into a small town part store to have it scanned, and just as I had though, my turbo charger stopped working.  Of course no one in a 100 mile radius knew how to work on it.  I was feeling pretty hopeless, and discouraged at this point.  I did not know what to do.  If I went further, I would risk serious breakdown, but I had no choice.  My only option was to drop the trailer off somewhere.
   Just as I was making a plan, the UHAUL representative in Seattle called to check up on me.  I told her my dilemma, and she very quickly found a spot for me to drop the trailer off, just a few miles up the road.  We also agreed to switch to a smaller trailer.  With the trailer detached, I was able to limp my poor, broken car to Springfield, where an Audi dealership could look at it.
   I am very fortunate to have a friend in California, who learned what was happening, and made some quick phone calls.  He helped figure out what parts I would need, and let them know I would be showing up.  Hopefully I can get back on the road within the next couple days.  For now, I will have to stick around Missouri and explore.  Hopefully I can get a couple runs in, and make the best of the situation.
   For a few minutes I was feeling discouraged.  What am I thinking!?  How could I possibly make a 5,000 mile trip like this?  Now my car is broken, and I left all my belongings with a complete stranger.  For the first time I became afraid of the situation I put myself in.  I am young, and foolish.  I should have just stayed in South Carolina, or figured out a more sensible way to come home.  Then, all of a sudden, a liberating sense of ease washed over me.  I have never felt so free in my life, than right now.  At this moment, I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, how I will get home, or what I will do.  All I have with me are my wits, my past experiences, and the connections I have made with people through out my life.  I really have nothing to worry about.  Everything will be ok.  I once read that it is important to not only be strong, but feel strong.  To measure yourself at least once.  I think this is where I am at right now.
    I have amazing friends and family who are all behind me.  These positive connections that we make in our lives are what make life so extraordinary.  It could very well be why we are here. I was talking to a good friend in Baltimore the other day, and he had mentioned that he thinks we're here to influence and connect with each other, whether its on some small level, or on a massive scale.  I would have to agree with him.  Every little connection we make, and every piece of positive energy we give off, could possibly come back to us, somehow.
   While walking around the camp ground this evening, I ran into a group of travelling active duty and retired veterans.  It's not every day we get to thank a Korean or Vietnam veteran for their service, and have a conversation with them.  it was an honor to be at the same table as them, taking about travelling, and great cities to go to.  After shaking their hands, and thanking them one more time, Betty White and I headed back to the tent.  It's not as cold tonight.  I think I will be just fine!
Car problems #but first let me take a selphy

Apparently its still cold in April

Dropped the Uhaul off somewhere along rt66...worse idea ever?

An honor to run into this group of gentlemen. Thanks for your service!

No comments:

Post a Comment